Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11679&st=0 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 02:26:00 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hal Steenson And John Lomacang, Power
sister
post Dec 3 2006, 07:05 PM
Post #1

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 762

It is no secret at 3ABN that there is no love lost between Hal Steenson and John Lomacang. Although the original date of this email is October 2005, it is still reflective of the division in the pastoral camp of 3ABN. At the time of this writing Hal requested that this information be "passed on to everyone". I know it is a little late in coming, but finally Hal your request has been granted.

A little background history: Hal Steenson is the husband of Mollie Steenson, General Manager of 3ABN. The only one that stands above her in the corperate hierarchy is Danny Shelton. Hal is also a member of the 3ABN Pastoral staff.

John Lomacang is the Pastor of the Thompsonville (3ABN) SDA Church, located on the property of 3ABN. In addition to his pastoral duties, he is often seen as a presenter on 3ABN programming.

At this point it is good to remember that Mollie believes that God has given her a vision of their intended place, together at the helm of 3ABN. Mollie has the business savvy and Hal is the Charismatic Preacher. Once Danny is out of the way, there will be no need for John to stand at the pulpit of the 3ABN church, Hal will comfortably fill that position. Heads up John, it is past time to read the writing on the wall...

Sister

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 9:59 AM
Subject: Concerned

Dear pastor ******* *******,

Thank you for calling and asking our position on John Lomachang's presentation Friday night. Here is 3ABN's statement on this matter. Thank you for helping us pass this on to everyone. Once again we apologize for what happened. It was a total surprise to all of us.

Thank You,

Hal Steenson

This is the statement I sent to Dr. Thompson.

Dr Walt,

I'm hurt, and I'm mad about what John Lomachang preached Friday night. I came out of gross error and felt assured, until his series, that I was moving in the truth. I'm not a scholar on the trumpets, however, even I knew that was wrong. The sad thing is that so many people watching now think this is what we all believe. And all the new people in our church may now accept it as the gospel truth. John's arrogance Sabbath morning goes along with what I told him months ago, "he has become a law unto himself." He is neither answerable nor accountable to no one and as he put it Sabbath morning, he owes no one an apology. If he wants to cut his own throat, so be it, but he sliced 3ABN up by teaching his "Adventists futuristic" opinion on live worldwide television. What he did was not of God or from God.

I'm amazed,

Hal Steenson
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Clay
post Dec 3 2006, 07:32 PM
Post #2

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

this is important because? I think you are dredging the bottom now Sister.... in the big picture this is a non-issue.... obviously this is a slow news day......

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
Johann
post Dec 4 2006, 12:11 AM
Post #3

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

QUOTE(Clay @ Dec 4 2006, 03:32 AM) [snapback]162118[/snapback]

this is important because? . . .

Danny Shelton claims that HOPE is not teaching true Adventism. Only 3ABN does.

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

"The truth can lose nothing by close investigation". (1888 Materials 38)

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Dec 4 2006, 05:52 AM
Post #4

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(Clay @ Dec 3 2006, 08:32 PM) [snapback]162118[/snapback]

this is important because? I think you are dredging the bottom now Sister.... in the big picture this is a non-issue.... obviously this is a slow news day......

If the only thing we are talking about here is Danny's personal problems, or even about the morals... or lack thereof... of the Shelton clan.... then this would be unimportant. But these are NOT the only things that are important. The goal is to clean up the mess at 3abn so that it can continue on as an integral part of Adventist life and mission. So anything which pertains to "life on the ranch".... which certainly includes divisions as well as liasons in top management and "pastors".... in doctrinal understandings as well as personal morals and behaviour... is indeed important in giving a full picture of why some of us at least think that 3abn definitely needs a thorough housecleaning.

+Quote Post
caribbean sda
post Dec 4 2006, 06:21 AM
Post #5

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,678

QUOTE(Johann @ Dec 4 2006, 02:11 AM) [snapback]162123[/snapback]

Danny Shelton claims that HOPE is not teaching true Adventism. Only 3ABN does.

hmm...so 3ABN has a monopoly on the teaching of true Adventism? dunno.gif

--------------------
"Press on, regardless...what's to come is better than what's been...!"

+Quote Post
Clay
post Dec 4 2006, 07:45 AM
Post #6

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(watchbird @ Dec 4 2006, 05:52 AM) [snapback]162125[/snapback]

If the only thing we are talking about here is Danny's personal problems, or even about the morals... or lack thereof... of the Shelton clan.... then this would be unimportant. But these are NOT the only things that are important. The goal is to clean up the mess at 3abn so that it can continue on as an integral part of Adventist life and mission. So anything which pertains to "life on the ranch".... which certainly includes divisions as well as liasons in top management and "pastors".... in doctrinal understandings as well as personal morals and behaviour... is indeed important in giving a full picture of why some of us at least think that 3abn definitely needs a thorough housecleaning.

after all the discussion in multiple threads about the Sheltons and their proclivities, it is clear that they have issues.... this is overkill.... if the picture is not clear now, it won't be.....

This thread should continue because?

--------------------

+Quote Post
caribbean sda
post Dec 4 2006, 07:54 AM
Post #7

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,678

It would be interesting to hear what John Lomacang said about trumpets that has Hal Steenson so hot under the collar. It certainly appears that there is turmoil in the 3ABN camp. Maybe instead of an explosion...there will be an implosion. blowup.gif oh well...and so it goes...on and on and on...

This post has been edited by caribbean sda: Dec 4 2006, 07:56 AM

--------------------
"Press on, regardless...what's to come is better than what's been...!"

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Dec 4 2006, 07:55 AM
Post #8

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(Clay @ Dec 4 2006, 06:45 AM) [snapback]162129[/snapback]

after all the discussion in multiple threads about the Sheltons and their proclivities, it is clear that they have issues.... this is overkill.... if the picture is not clear now, it won't be.....

This thread should continue because?

If this thread is going to challenge the claim that 3abn is preaching the "undiluted" truth and will actually bring up the tainted teachings in question I think it would serve a valuable purpose.

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
Clay
post Dec 4 2006, 08:16 AM
Post #9

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(PeacefullyBewildered @ Dec 4 2006, 07:55 AM) [snapback]162131[/snapback]

If this thread is going to challenge the claim that 3abn is preaching the "undiluted" truth and will actually bring up the tainted teachings in question I think it would serve a valuable purpose.

fair enough.... if that is the direction of the thread.... then lets explore... if however it is more of the personal failings of those at 3abn... I will close this one....

--------------------

+Quote Post
sister
post Dec 4 2006, 09:18 AM
Post #10

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Clay @ Dec 4 2006, 09:16 AM) [snapback]162132[/snapback]

fair enough.... if that is the direction of the thread.... then lets explore... if however it is more of the personal failings of those at 3abn... I will close this one....

An interesting point from Maritime in their discussion of this topic, I have bolded two points that need to be considered:

"I am also with Gregory in what he says about the deviant beliefs brought in by the Pentecostals as being more important to recognize than worrying ourselves about what John may be saying about prophetic interpretation. And we need also, IMO, to keep in mind the power struggle that some have pointed out that is going on between the Steenson's and Danny.... and note that it could be that Hal's condemnation of how John treats Adventist doctrine as part of a "divide and conquer" strategy... with this type of attack being the "smokescreen" behind which the Pentecostals can "take over" with their own brand of "Adventism"."

+Quote Post
Clay
post Dec 4 2006, 09:27 AM
Post #11

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(sister @ Dec 4 2006, 09:18 AM) [snapback]162138[/snapback]

An interesting point from Maritime in their discussion of this topic, I have bolded two points that need to be considered:

"I am also with Gregory in what he says about the deviant beliefs brought in by the Pentecostals as being more important to recognize than worrying ourselves about what John may be saying about prophetic interpretation. And we need also, IMO, to keep in mind the power struggle that some have pointed out that is going on between the Steenson's and Danny.... and note that it could be that Hal's condemnation of how John treats Adventist doctrine as part of a "divide and conquer" strategy... with this type of attack being the "smokescreen" behind which the Pentecostals can "take over" with their own brand of "Adventism"."

what are the issues.....

--------------------

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Dec 4 2006, 09:58 AM
Post #12

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(sister @ Dec 4 2006, 08:18 AM) [snapback]162138[/snapback]

Sister,

This claim of the infiltration of "deviant Pentacostal beliefs" has been stated and restated. However, I have personally never seen spelled out here what those deviant beliefs are.

Can you illuminate?

Additionally, for those not privy to the John Lomacang series in question, how can we support this statement that his prophetic interpretation isn't worth worrying about. For all we know at this point his interpretation could have been either doctrinally sound or blatantly flawed.

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
sister
post Dec 4 2006, 10:00 AM
Post #13

500 + posts
Group Icon

The following is taken from a thread on Maritime and is the personal experience of an individual with Shelly Quinn and her husband (a member of the 3ABN pastoral staff). I will preface it with an explanation of the term “rhema”:

Rhema is a Greek term that is often translated "word" in English versions of the New Testament. In many Charismatic/Pentecostal circles, however, it takes on a special meaning. A rhema word is a special, modern "revelation" to someone. It may be in the form of a flash of insight into some spiritual matter that is not clearly covered in scripture. Or it may be an intuitive understanding that a particular scripture verse or passage has immediate application to a current circumstance, even though in context in the Bible it may have nothing at all to do with the topic of the circumstance. Such rhema words are sought after to give daily guidance to the life of the Christian.This comes straight from what is called the "Word of Faith" Movement.... which is extreme enough to even be condemned by other more conservative Pentecostals.Thus, when someone holding this belief tells you to take a text in the Bible, and repeat it with certainty, and you will get what those words promise.... this is NOT the same as what scripture talks about--having faith in the God who answers our prayers in His own time and out of His own wisdom and in the ways that He knows is for our best good. This is what Word of Faith people call "having faith in your faith"... that is, having faith "strong enough" so that God will HAVE to give you exactly what you ask for.... this is sometimes termed, "having power with God".

“she (Shelly Quinn)actually has chapters on the "rhema" (these books have been promoted on 3ABN, the book in question is Exalting His Word Workbook)... from what she states in the book, you are to take scriptures, rewrite them in your own words--making it a DEMAND, and then say it over and over, for months if needed, till it comes true.
(sounds like self-hypnosis, eh?)

in the home in which i was staying, at the time i ordered her book, there was some occult activity going on and i was under attack. i called the 3abn prayer line and her husband answered. when i told him what was happening, he started off on a 30 minute tirade of "how the Lord must want him to get into the deliverance ministry since he was answering the calls of so many who were under attack." as i recall, he never did address my request for help, just kept asking me what i thought of his different plans for getting into this "ministry." one really weird call.

after getting her book, i called and spoke with shelly. she emphasized over and over that "she wasn't supposed to pray with people over the phone;" but she made an exception in my case. when i emailed her telling her of having a calm day, she proceeded to "pronounce me cured and in no further need of her help." hmmm... the attacks were still going on.... on and on till the day i left that home.

i then began to realize that they are just people in need of a Saviour (like i am) and not to put too much stock in depending upon them in any way. (our dependance is on Jesus!!)

after reading the posts here at maritime, and thinking back on the limited contact i've had with 3abn, now i understand the "why" of the way they came across to me on the phone.

there is definitely "fundamental charismatic pentacostalism" going on there in a big way. wonder what CA (CA Murry) thinks of it all? i just remembered--i talked with him two or three times also. he always came across to me as a sincere friend of Jesus, a true christian and concerned. just hope they don't change him.

ps. ive joined the 3abn "prayer warrior" group. in their emails, their prayers never say "Thy will be done". it is always a DEMAND.”

This helps explain from, a Pentacostal point of view, what Mollie Steenson, ET Everett and Shelly Quinn have attributed to Danny Shelton---in essense that Danny has "Rhema" and whatever he says, thinks or dreams comes from God.

Sister

This post has been edited by sister: Dec 4 2006, 10:14 AM

+Quote Post
Clay
post Dec 4 2006, 10:28 AM
Post #14

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

and how is what they do different from the old sermons we use to hear in adventism regarding the ABC's of prayer, i.e. Ask, Believe and Claim?

In fact isn't it possible that the church at large has been influenced by this concept and not just 3ABN?

--------------------

+Quote Post
IMM
post Dec 4 2006, 10:40 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 1,938

QUOTE(sister @ Dec 4 2006, 09:18 AM) [snapback]162138[/snapback]

I will preface my comments by admitting I have not heard Lomacang's "7 Trumpets" sermon, as I rarely watch 3ABN, but I know a number of people who did see it.

Jay Gallimore, Michigan Conference president, had to make a trip to one of his constiuent churches ( a larger one) recently to settle things down as members became extremely hostile and divided after hearing Lomacang's sermon. Elder Gallimore is considered somewhat of a scholar in the matter of the 7 trumpets. He has studied scripture and Adventist beliefs in depth, and has produced a powerpoint presentation and even made tapes of his sermon explaining the trumpets in a clear, concise, and easy to follow manner. Gallimore told that Michigan congregation there are a lot of problems with Lomacang's interpretation, and it is definitely NOT the generally held teaching/understanding of the SDA denomination that he (Lomacang) is preaching, but his own "new light" and interpretation.

I also know a couple, dear friends of our family, who have heard Lomacang's "trumpets" explanations and are beginning to split with Adventism over it. They are pushy about it with all of their SDA friends, and Lomacang's "new light" has caused them to create some divides. I have personally asked them not to talk about this around my family, but I am told they follow up their support of Lomacang by passing out a book authored by someone who does not support Adventist prophetic interpretations. I don't know the author, but I will try to find out.

Again I will state, I have no first-hand knowledge of the sermon, but I do know that whatever Lomacang preaches on this topic has definitely stirred the pot in both the pews and SDA church leadership. The sad thing is, there are those who think that because they saw Lomacang's sermon on 3ABN it has to be true. It seems Hal is probably not at all wrong or out of line in this instance. He is actually the one who is supporting our traditional SDA beliefs.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 01:26 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church